Thursday, October 7, 2010

Of Jean Back-Pockets and Jamais Vu

I slept in this morning. Which, really, is not that drastic, since I made it to my 8 o'clock Spanish class a mere two minutes late--howbeit frazzled and disoriented--but is still significant because of this: as I frantically yanked clothes out of my closet--delicate pink oxford shirt, light teal camisole, crop jeans and turquoise shoes-- I noticed something about my jeans that I had never before noticed: the back pockets. Now, these back pockets were nothing huge or special or weird, but as I looked at the design in the folds of denim, they looked utterly unfamiliar. The metal studs in the corners were bronze-ish, when I was expecting... well, actually, I don't know what I was expecting. Definitely anything other than what was there.
Now, this all may seem very inconsequential to you, but the fact that I was seriously taken aback (no pun intended) by my jean pockets insomuch that I began to wonder whether or not these jeans were my jeans was a rather strange feeling to be experiencing first thing this morning.
This feeling actually has a name, you--may not--know. It's called jamais vu, (doesn't it seem like the French have a word for everything?) which means "never seen" in English. You're probably more familiar with its sister term, deja vu. Whereas a sense of deja vu strikes you as something you've "already seen" (surprised? that's the literal english translation), in a case of jamais vu you will experience a sense of unfamiliarity with something you have already encountered. 


The thing is, I'm not really sure if what I felt this morning was jamais vu, or if I really had  never even looked at the back of my jeans. Which is kind of scary. Because, these days, the back of your jeans could easily look like this:

Which is awesome, you know, if you wanted to tattoo your bum.
oh, wait, don't some people do that?

Muahahaha much worse yet: 


0 comments:

Post a Comment